Skip to main content

If You Want to Know the Truth...



If you want to know the truth:

I'm pretty sure I'll fail, over and over again.

But I'm going to keep on trying,

Every single time.

My dream isn't to open a studio,

or buy a house,

or make an incredible amount of money.

It isn't even to travel, 

or see the world.

My dream is to be there for my children,

and to provide everything I know they deserve from me.

My dream is to see them flourish.

I'd give anything to make that happen.

I'd devote my whole life to never giving up,

Just to give them a better chance.


If you want to know the truth:

I have more insecurities than confidence.

I think more of you than I'll ever think of me.

 I have days that I talk myself into just taking that next best step.

Sometimes it's a shower,

or a drink of water,

or healthy food.

Sometimes it's a phone call,

or starting a marketing campaign.

Most days it's a nap,

Then getting back up to continue the day,

One more step at a time.


If you want to know the truth:

I don't expect to make a big difference in the world.

But I pray for a big difference to take place in me.

I want to learn, grow, connect,

and understand how to be a better friend.

Every single day.

I'll probably belly flop in life.

I'm okay with that,

As long as I have loved well.

I'd give up just about anything to love well-

One person, one friend, one neighbor at a time.

Belly flops still cause ripples.


If you want to know the truth:

Just ask me anything.

I'm an open book.

I might take my time to formulate my words,

But I'll give you an honest answer.

I'll look deep and fight for the truth to surface.

Other times, words will dance unreservedly off my tongue.

I'm right here.

Try me.


If you want to know the truth:

Seek it out,

Invite it in,

Look deep,

Never settle,

Keep on searching,

Always question,

Start with you,

Look in the mirror of reflecting waters,

The softness of wild streams shapes the planted rock

It refreshes the traveling soul.

Choose your medicine with gladness.

If you want to know the truth,

Find it one courageous and trepidacious step at a time.


www.crystaltheartist.com

Comments

  1. Love your work, and your honesty, the humble inherit the earth, and even if we never get to meet up again, I know I will see you again, we still cherish the photos you took of our family in the nature park, love and prayers to you and your beautiful children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! I appreciate your kind and encouraging words! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ebb and Flow

 Photography has been an ebbing and flowing endeavor in my life for the past 11 years. It is now the beginning of the busy season for outdoor photography in the Pacific Northwest. Portland, Oregon has about 2-3 beautiful months of consistent sunshine and bearable weather and then 9+ months of grey and wetness. I am excited to be breaking in a new camera at the beginning of the season this year. This was my first session with the upgraded equipment. This SW Portland home had a flood of natural light which made for a great exposure. Every time I try to incorporate artificial lighting into my work, I am just not pleased with the results. Some photographers have it down, but I would say that my style calls for the simplicity of less equipment, less posing, and more focus on the feeling between family members. I like to capture natural moments where my subjects can just be themselves, without the added stress of looking just right while waiting on me. This family was full of cuteness. S...

The Next Brene Brown

The other day I told my story in depth to another new therapist that I've been seeing for a couple months now. It was shared without tears, stated without question, spoken matter of factly. After I was done filling in the details, she stopped me and said, "I understand better now. In your charts it says you had a psychotic break, and I want to be sure that you understand now that you didn't just have a psychotic break, you suffered deeply from PTSD, which lead into a state of psychosis." God, I love my new therapist. She went on to explain that as we tell our stories and start to open up about the traumas that we have suffered through, we begin to understand better and normalize tragedies that women (and men too) everywhere face. We begin to understand that there hasn't been something wrong with us, but there was a lot of wrong done to us. I said, "Yeah, Brene Brown also had a break down and look where she is now!" She is doing so much great work that im...

Hello Neighbor(s)

Get creative. Be bold. Do uncomfortable things. I am in a season of returning to me. All rough and tumbly on the outside, but back to the core center of who I have always been. Years ago, (in my stay at home moming era) I used to be really friendly to my neighbors, because, well, I could. I had the bandwidth. So many awesome connections with extraordinary people were made that way. Both, lifelong friends and memory holding (now distant) connections still remain. But life happened. You know how it goes. It just gets faster and more complicated and busier and (damn) more painful. And sometimes when life gets painful, all we can do is retreat. So I did. The pandemic helped a lot with that drawing into myself process. When the world shut down, it was actually a really big relief to me in the beginning. I could let go of so many things I felt responsible for because every single thing stopped (just about). I had no excuses to not cut out the unnecessary chaos because there was SO much neces...